Thursday, October 2, 2008

A proud mama

Cooper, my terrier, is 16 months old and he has never mastered the art of walking on a leash. He has a tendency to pull so hard he makes himself gag the whole time and usually ends up throwing up. I tried using a gentle leader on him like Daisy uses, but that wasn't very successful.
Well being home and really not leaving my house for the last 4 days now has gotten rather hard on the dogs. Well, we are all actually getting a horrible case of cabin fever. So I decided to take the dogs to Petsmart to find a body harness for Cooper. Two dogs in the middle of dog heaven turned out to be not the smartest idea on my part. It ended up being me being half drug around the store. One dog would go one way, and of course the other would go the other and I got tangled up in their leashes so many times I was sure I was going to wipe out on the floor for everyone to see. I brought them along because I wanted someone to help me fit the harness to cooper in hopes that I would be able to find the right size and such. However there was no one avaliable so I returned the dogs to the car, purchased the harness and went home.
After I got home I hooked each dog up to their harnesses, the body harness for Cooper, and then Gentle Leader for Daisy. The gentle leader works amazing for Daisy, she becomes the most obediant dog when its on. In her mind, she has to be a good dog when she wears it, as soon as its off she runs around like crazy, but as long as its on she can go on a walk and never pulls. But anywho, I got both dogs hooked up and away we went on a walk. This is something I have never been able to do with both of my dogs, by myself. However I must have found the correct leashes for both of them because it was almost a picture perfect walk. They stayed together, only stopping occasionally to sniff, but kept going. When other dogs would bark, I would use the sound the Dog Whisperer uses, and they would continue to walk, not paying attention to the other dogs. (Side note: Thank you Nancy P for encouraging me to watch that show, it really is the best!) We only went around the block once, it was all my lungs could handle at this point in time. So all together we were only gone about 15 minutes, but I was so stinkin proud of my dogs!

2 comments:

Lauralee Altice said...

I wish I could have been there to see Daisy and Coopy pulling you around the store! That is so funny! I'm glad they preformed well on their walk and that Ceasear helped you! I love that show too!

grammie said...

Congrats to the doggies! I love that show and don't even have a dog. Nancy