Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oh how I love my job....

I have written blogs in the past about the joys of my job. Not on this blog, but on the one I used to keep on myspace. Of course there are good things about what I do, otherwise why on earth would I show up to my job, well besides the fact that I get paid fairly well to be there. But never have I ever claimed to have a job that was full of perks. While I don't claim to be the only person with a job that has its downsides, I think I rank quite high up there in the category of "jobs that appear to be cool, but in fact are quite disgusting." I don't plan to go into any extreme details, because I fear someone may be eating at the very moment they are reading this blog and I don't want them to run to the bathroom, a good meal ruined by me. Although if stories are what you want, I have a collection like you wouldn't believe, just ask I can be the life of a party with my stories, lol jk.

I started thinking about how much I really love my job while at work about 7 months back... I had to give a suppository to an 8 year old child, one that we as nurses would call a "total care" child. Hes here but hes definitely not all here if you know what I mean. And while that is not one of the more enjoyable things I do, I assure you, its a lot better, than changing the 8 year olds diaper with explosive diarrhea such as this one. But you think, that's really not that bad, but what about suctioning boogers out of kids noses (which can in a weird way be quite satisfying to do). Then there's doing catheters, (I have great stories with this one) putting tubes down noses, giving shots, collecting stool samples, cleaning up vomit, and the list goes on. Not to mention I have tons of kids with respiratory problems where you have to listen to their lungs and watch their oxygen saturations and if they drop below a certain point, reposition them, and suction their noses and when all else fails put them on oxygen which is always a joy. Trying to get little kids to allow you to put little prongs up their noses with air blowing through it can be quiet a daunting task. I have had kids where it has required up to 4 of us to hold them down just to get it on and taped in place, and in some cases to have them rip it right back off again.

Most days I love the kids I work with. Many of them change my life. And then there are the kids that you want to just slap their parents for letting them behave the way they do, or for letting them get as sick as they are. But all the bad things included, nursing is what I do.

2 comments:

shahna said...

I don't care what they pay you- It's not enough! When one of my kids was hospitalized with a serious illness and in the hospital for almost a week, I was SO grateful for loving, caring, competent nurses!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I'm sure you are FANTASTIC at what you do. The nursing world is a better place for having you in it!