Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just relax

massage Pictures, Images and PhotosWhen someone mentions the word massage, usually the first thing that pops into your head is relaxation, oils, soft music, dim lights, the whole nine yards. Massage is the treatment and practice of manipulation of the soft body tissues with physical, functional, i.e. mechanical, medical/therapeutic, and in some cases psychological purposes and goals. All good stuff right? But why does that never seem to the the case? When I think of massage I only think of it in reference to pain. I have pain, therefore I need a massage that creates more pain but will eventually lead to less pain. At least that is the goal. But does anyone every get that ideal situation anymore? I mean now you can get a massage while laying on a chair in the middle of the mall! If that isn't relaxation I don't know what is. Lying with your face planted into a chair while some Asian man or woman goes to town on your body with their hand, arm or whatever. And you are lying there trying to "relax" while the sounds of hundreds of people go cruising by. Bags rustling, kids screaming, all while you are just trying to get a massage. Who ever came up with this concept? Its not relaxing! And that's not taking into consideration the fact that it feels like they are jabbing metal beams into your body, but they claim they are barely even pushing. I'm supposed to be relaxing here, and I feel like I'm in more pain that before I came in. And this is only compounded by the fact that during a "normal" massage you don't get to wear any clothing. Nothing but a small sheet between you and the massage therapist. What part of this whole ordeal is supposed to be relaxing? I am more worried about the fact that if they see fit to inflict anymore pain on my body, I may see fit to take a flying leap off the massage table. I can assure anyone that would not be a pretty site given the circumstance. So my thought process is to only thing of a massage for its medicinal purposes, there is NOTHING relaxing about it! However, relaxing or not, I keep going back for more. Especially with this new working out I am doing. This new work out video I have by Jillian Michaels is kicking my butt! My thighs hurt so bad right now, its becoming quite difficult to walk. And I'm stuck at work for a 12 hour shift! I know this will all be for my good, but right now it hurts! I wince every time I have to go from a sitting to standing point. So I will work out again tonight, and then go in for a massage on wednesday and see if I can make it though the week. Eventually i will get to a point where it won't hurt as bad right?massage

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually hurt a few days after a massage. That's way I seldom get them (plus I hate paying for them)! I get headaches and my neck always hurts worse.

Where do you find your pictures? I love them!!!

Let's have lunch soon.

Rachel Mohat said...

I never hurt more afterwards, you have to see a good massage therapist. My dads secretary Chandra is a medical massage therapist and is amazing. I just have tons of tight muscles but she helps me to feel good. The pictures I always get from photobucket.com they have everything. you can upload your own pictures there too and then use them in your blogs.

Lauralee Altice said...

I miss massages from Chandra. The massage therapists at my Chiropractor is pretty good though.
As far as my mad video skills go, that is one of the great things about a Mac, it gives you those skills. I did Emily's wedding video. It turned out really good if I do say so myself! :) I jiust actually used my camera this time unstead of my phone to video Camden.

Amanda Idell said...

Wow it must be a good tape then huh... Feel the BURN ha ha... oh yeah P.S you have been tagged check my blog for details ;)

Heather Atchley said...

Edna at Allen CareNow got sick after having one of her massages with lots of throwing up and a headache. They told her that the massage therapist must have rubbed bad tension spots out of her back that were toxic or she had toxins in her body that they disrupted with the massage.....something crazy anyway. I like 'em, but gentle ones, my back is tight and in knots it hurts for even BJ to try and give me one.