Monday, September 1, 2008

So this is life

So I have always liked to blog, its a very therapeutic when you have issues and just need to "talk" about them, but Ive always been content to just blogging on myspace. I know lots of people who have these blogs, but they are all married, most of them with kids, and so they have something worth while to blog about. I have neither. I have just me. I am 28 years old and I find myself once again single. This is in no way the life I had planned for myself. Some people plan to have a career, but it was never something I really wanted for myself. It was just something I was supposed to do. I had a hard time picking a major in school when I first started out. I always seemed to be the person my friends came to for giving advice, so I thought that I would want to have a career in psychology. I was never a big fan of BYU, probably because that was what "everyone" did, and I have never been one to follow the norm. So I decided I would go to Rick's college. I had a aunt and uncle who lived up in Rexburg and my grandfather once taught auto mechanics there, so I decided to take a different path and went to Ricks. After being there for a year and taking a psychology class and an intro to counseling class, I decided that psychology wasn't for me, there were too many rules and restrictions "don't cross your legs when you are talking to a patient, it makes them feel you are closed off to them." That was ridiculous to me I just wanted to help people, and this wasn't the way I wanted to do it. It seemed like everyone who was in that field had a few too many mental problems themselves. So then I had to figure out what I wanted. I always wanted to the medical field, so I thought about Social Work, but then I found out there was no money to be made in that field. So that was out of the question. I thought about becoming a pharmacist. That was in the medical field, but it wasn't as long as a doctor, but I had worked in a pharmacy before, and I could not go to school for 5 years just to count pills all day. Although the money was good, that just wasn't right for me. At that point I had finished two years of school, I got my associates from Ricks and moved back to Texas to figure out what my next step was. I lived at home for about 9 months and then decided to move out with my grandparents in Utah, thinking I would be happier living closer to my friends from school. I lived in Utah for another 8 months, and I was no more happier there than at home. I was tired of thinking the grass was greener on the other side I needed to just pick a place and make the best of it. My dad also told me he was tired of driving from utah/idaho and back and that I was not to move again lol. So while I was in utah i decided I wanted to become a nurse, it was in the medical field and it didn't require nearly as much school as a doctor. So I came home enrolled in community college took a years worth of classes and applied to nursing school. Lucky for me, despite there being hundreds of applicants and only 40 students accepted I was one of the lucky that got in. And so began the next two years of my life, or really lack there of. I ate, drank and slept nursing school. It was one of the hardest things I ever have done in my life to this point. I remember thinkin that I was going to be done with school a month before i turned 25 years old. That was so old! Surely I would be well on my way to be getting married by then. Boy I couldn't have been more wrong. I had no life during those 2 years, if I wasn't doing school, I was thinking and worrying about school, there was never a time it wasn't on my mind, even when I was taking a break. I had decided while going through school that I didn't like caring for adults, I really like working for kids, and I really enjoyed the time I had spend doing my clinical rotations at the hospital Medical City Dallas. So when I finished I knew that was where I wanted to work, but unfortunately for me, they didn't have an internship the month following my graduation. So I decided to continue to work for CareNow the urgent care place I had worked all though nursing school, only now I would work as a nurse. It didn't pay nearly as much as the hospital, but I learned invaluable things while working there. After a year Medical city finally offered a pediatric internship and I applied and was accepted. So that is where I have been working for almost 3 years now. I work the night shift from 7pm to 7am. I bought my own house 2 years ago, and here I am. I am 28 years old, I have a great job, great house, great car, and yet this is not how I pictured my life. But its the path I am on, so I am learning to accept it and make the best of it. This is my life. My crazy, never ending, never wrecking thing called life.




No comments: