Monday, September 15, 2008

Memories from my childhood

Whenever I think about my childhood, there are few memories that return to my mind like the times I spent as a child playing with my sisters. For a large portion of my life, Sharon, Lauralee and myself were the only kids in the family. We spent a lot of time together, as children do, we even all shared a room for a large portion of our "growing up" years. There were many hours that we spent in each others companies, lost in the world of imagination. It was there that we had our greatest times together. But to this day, our favorite memory of the games we used to play was a game we called "homeless".



I know, go ahead and laugh, I do thinking about it, but it was our favorite game. It started off as a game Sharon and I would play to pass the time when we were at my grandfathers bike shop. First he would ask us to gather these little BB type things which he would in turn give us money. We thought we were doing him a favor that he in turn would pay us for, it wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I realized that the bead we had to find, were actually no use to him. They would fall out of these parts, but were not replaceable, it was just something he did to help us pass the time. After we collected our 2 or 3 dollars we would go next door to the day old bread store. We always bought a loaf of white bread and sometimes a package of powdered donuts. Then we would take our purchases and go to the back of the bike shop and climb on top of the bike boxes and there would begin our day. We loved to imagine that we lived there amongst those boxes, that we had no where else to live, and our bread was our only food and we had to make it last as long as possible. We would eat it a half a slice at a time, and then we would ration. Our conversations were a little like "Is it time yet" "No, we have to wait a little longer, we have to make it last." We could make it last all day, I'm sure it made the babysitting job quite easy for my grandfather. As time went on we moved to Texas, but the game continued. I was 9, Sharon was 6 and Lauralee 3. We would pack a few snacks head out to the driveway and we could play for hours. We had it all worked out in our heads, to earn money we would roller skate on our drive way, "people" would give us tips and that way we could buy food. In order to get this food, we would get on our teeter totter and we would go to "Turkey" And "Hungry" the two places one would go, if you were hungry, right? Lauralee was always the "mom" of the group, I always loved to be the baby. Mostly because when you were the baby your mom would wait on you hand and foot. It was a great little arrangement we had. It provided many great memories...what imaginations we had back then. Kids now days have no imagination!


3 comments:

Shippe said...

I think Lauralee told me about you guys playing this! Too bad I had all brothers growing up....we mainly played hide and go seek and ghost in the graveyard type games.

Unknown said...

So that explains why you like to spend so much money now! Just pretending to be homesless scared you. lol ;)

Lauralee Altice said...

Man those were the days. I guess that rubbed off on me and I still have a hard time spending money. We were so silly! I'm hungry so I'm going to teeter toter to Turkey to get something to eat!