Sunday, September 28, 2008

Just Plain Dumb

Why is it that over the past few years it has become popular to "be stupid." You can say it started with Jessica Simpson and her constant comments that left so many thinking "Can she really be that stupid?" Most of us in the world know that Chicken of the Sea is a brand of tuna, and yet she actually thought it was chicken. And we all laughed to ourselves and thought how dumb she was. However since that show has aired I have seen a rise in the trend of girls thinking its "cute to be stupid."



It seems that if you can make someone laugh, even if that means pretending to be stupid, you can win big points. Back when I was teaching the 14 and 15 year old's in Sunday school I had one of the girls ask me to trip her on the way out of class. I got this complete deer in the headlights look...was she honestly asking me to do something that completely stupid? I thought surely I had misheard her, so I asked her to repeat it again. And sure enough she asked me again to trip her on the way out of class. This was just too much, I HAD to know her reasoning, and I really was sorry I asked. It was then that she proceeded to tell me that if I was to trip her, she would fall and everyone would laugh, thereby making her funny. I couldn't believe my ears, she really wanted me to potentially injure her for a laugh.




This trend is not a new thing with a guys, the "dumb jocks" have always been the popular guys, not the smart guys. Girls never went after the guys that had a brain on them, that wasn't cool. And it somehow seemed to correlate with looks. Mind you there were a few Jocks that weren't dumb, but that seemed to be the exception not the rule. But now that trend has passed on to girls. And i'm just blown away, why is it cute to be stupid?



I'm learning that not everyone is born with common sense. It seems that although it may be "common" not everyone is blessed with it. That for some reason, is a frustration to me. Why would everyone not seek to be educated? When I was going to college, my grandma would always ask me why I didn't just stop and get married. That it wasn't necessary for girls to go to school. I never understood that. Am I supposed to hope to marry a doctor, while I being only a high school graduate couldn't even begin to fathom carrying on a conversation of that level. So tell me this, why would you want to be stupid? (And I am not saying that if you have ONLY a high school diploma you are stupid) This has become my theory on the situation. Girls have grown to realize that guys like to rescue the "damsel in distress." They have grown to realize that guys need to be needed. So many girls young and old have learned to feign ignorance. They want men to feel needed and so they give him those opportunities to step up and "be the man."

Back to my story at the beginning. So while this girl in my class wanted to have me trip her so that she would fall, what she had learned from this accidentally happening before was that while she enjoyed being able to make people laugh, she also enjoyed someone rushing to her rescue. So rather than wait for something to accidentally trip her, she learned to create the situation herself. She was in turn, playing

6 comments:

shahna said...

SO true.

Unknown said...

I figure the guys who like a dumb girl get what they deserve and us smart chicks will just end up ruling the world! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow. You just described me! LOL
I love tripping on stairs.

Rachel Mohat said...

LOL well the person who wanted to be tripped was your daughter lol must run in the family

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that girl! That is kinda sad. People are probably laughing at her not with her. There is a difference from being funny due to clumsiness and being funny because you have a good sense of humor. And obviously people are too dumb in the world to know the difference!

Nefarious said...

how lame. i hate dumb chics!