Thursday, September 4, 2008

My job

There are days that I love my job, I know it doesn't seem like it cause I always dread going into work, but there really are days that I love my job. But there also are days when I really and truly hate my job. I think today would be classified as one of those days. I got to work and found out that I had a "3 to 1" assignment. That pretty much means that there are only 3 patients to one nurse, which is both a good and bad thing. Good because you won't be having to take any more patients, but bad because that usually means one of the patients is pretty bad. That seemed to most definitely be the case with one of my patients tonight. He has been in the hospital for a month, mostly in the ICU for septic shock. He had finally made it to our floor about 2 days ago, but had been having all sorts of problems. I got to be the lucky person to get him tonight who he decides to crap out on me. lol It really wasn't funny at the time, but I guess I can do nothing but laugh because I seem to be somewhat cursed when it comes to working. This is my second kid to stop breathing on me. But I guess I am getting practice, I don't know. I can't say im any better at it the second time around, but this is not something I really care to be good at. I would just be content if all my kids continued to breath while I was working. It just makes me night go a lot better. This one at least didn't require chest compressions, he just dropped to an oxygen saturation in the 50's and needed to be bagged. No big deal right? At least he is down in the ICU again, hopefully he will get better one on one care. Poor baby! And as if that wasn't bad enough, I got another baby later in the shift who came up from the ER in severe respiratory distress. I had had like so many people in there with me offering opinions and finally we had the ICU doctor come up and assess him. When he saw me again, he asked me if I had a black cloud hanging over my head tonight. I told him that I thought that may be the case. I tried asking the charge nurse if I could just go home and sleep and start over again tomorrow but of course that didn't get to happen. So I only have 3 hours left in my shift, and then I get to come back again and do this fun stuff all over again tonight! I can't wait!


No comments: