Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Does divorce ruin him?

So when it comes to dating at my age, well my age in the mormon church, there really aren't many choices if you will. I find that 90% of the guys I run into are either divorced, divorced with kids, perverts or any combination of the above. Its hard to discuss my "situation" with many people because most people within the church have no clue what its like. And by situation, I mean single at 28. My mom was married at 19, she had 3 kids by my age, so she certainly has no clue. Sure I guess I have a few cousins who could relate, but that's not the point. So I set out on the dating "scene" again. I even try my luck at an online lds dating site. Sure, I get lots of messages, but more than half of them are men over 40 even as high as 65. If that's not creepy I don't know what is! But the longer I'm on there, the more i realize, the majority of people I come in contact with are divorced. But does divorce really mean bad? I guess in some instances it is, but I mean really, should someone be punished because they were divorced? While I don't promote divorce, it happens, and usually someone ends up getting hurt. But what I want to know is, is dating after divorce possible?
So what if he's the perfect guy, in every sense of the word. Okay, maybe not perfect, but perfect for YOU? Sure, he's spoken of his divorce before, and you know he still has some lingering bitterness and lots of pain. The woman ripped his heart out, then took everything but the clothes on his back. What can you say to that? How does someone heal from that? I want to know that time goes on. That wounds heal. There has got to be a point where you start to realize that, with the right person, marriage COULD be a very good thing. You start to crave the normalcy and stability of sharing your life with someone...and the single life starts to feel very wrong to you. That is the stage I have found myself in for sure, the single life just feels wrong. No i haven't been divorced, I have had a bad relationship, but in a way its partly the same. But I know to a large degree its not.
Some people really do go through a divorce and never marry again. They simply find that married life is not for them. But there's another portion of the population that will heal in time. They will find that forgiveness and a woman will come along who changes everything. So I can be that "woman" for someone right? At least I tell myself I can. But who knows, its hard to know if its not just the "fixer" in me. I always want to make things better for others. I want to leave people better than I found them, have an impact on their life. I would like to think I have a lot to offer someone, I just have to find him, even if hes broken and bruised, and let him know he went through all that to get to me, and it was well worth it, right?

1 comment:

Lauralee Altice said...

I guess it all depends on the reason for the devorse. I have friends that have been devorsed that are now dating and have plans to remarry.