Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Reminicing

Dear Husband,

I started when I was a child, wondering what you will be like. I wish for a handsome man that would make all my dreams come true. I have wished for a man that was kind, and true, and faithful to me until the end. I hope for a man that can love me unconditionally, and look fast my faults. I hope and pray for a man that is good in the church, and fulfills all of his callings. However, as I sit and think to myself, of how I would like you to be, images of my life flash before my eyes, and I wonder if it could be. Have I lived my life, so that I may be worthy to be with you for time and all eternity? Have I loved you enough to keep myself morally clean? Have I treated others around me with respect, so that they may like me, that I may one day find you? I wonder to myself what it will be like when I find you. Will it be love at first sight, or will you have to grow on me. Will you be very handsome, or just plain like me? I lie in bed at night, wondering what our life will be like, or if I will even find you. And when i do, will you tell me that you love me, and that you have been looking for me too? But for now, until I hear from you. So until we meet, I will think of you often.

Love,
Your wife

Dear Wife,

I got your letter yesterday and I must say it surprised me. I had no idea that you thought of me so. I would have to concur and say that I am just the man you are looking for. I am honored to have been chosen by you as "The One." Your life has been hard, no doubt, but so was mine. Each person is given certain tests and obstacles in life, and if they fare them well, great will be the reward. Some trials are looks, money and artificial highs. So what??!! I think the world of you. There is nothing you could do to make me hate you. You have messed up but you have also repented. One of the great things about life is that you can always fix your mistakes. Now, sometimes it may be harder than others, but if you have the right spirit and conscience, you will succeed. I look on you as a goddess that makes human mistakes. You are elevated in my eyes so that the clouds can't touch you. I know that you have done your best to live worthy of my company, and for that I love you unconditionally and without condition. You have reached a pinnacle in my sight, unbeknownst to any other, and for that worthiness I praise you. Now, I know there are faults inside you but they can only make you stronger and every time you overcome one, you eyes get a little bright, your smile gets a little bigger and you glow that much more. I love you for you and no other reason. I depend on you for bearing in my life. You are my solace, my peace and my dream.

I love you,
Your husband


So I thought I would include what my mom had written as a response to my letter acting as though she was my future husband. I like what she had to say, maybe you will too?

Dear future wife,

Its amazing how since I can remember, even back when I was only give each girl I met I wondered if she was the one I would marry. She must be pretty, for beauty is always the first criteria for picking a companion. But I soon realized that there are different kinds of pretty. Pretty on the outside only, gets old really fast. The woman I was going to marry would have to be pretty on the inside as well as on the outside.

In Kindergarten the girls that were pretty on the outside were willing to be my friend and were willing to play with me. Even willing to get muddy on the playground and didn't mind kicking a ball.

By third grade things seemed to change. There were girls who were pretty alright. But mostly on the outside. They started gossiping and saying rude things. Boys just aren't that way. I still was looking for a pretty girl, who wanted to be a friend. But real friends were getting harder to find. I still wondered, where is the girl I will marry. Something inside me told me to keep looking but you know how boys are, I was no exception. I felt I needed a pretty girl to make me look good.

By sixth grade I was it. The pretty girls liked me. Sure they were still a little gossipy, but that is just the way they were. But somewhere I could imagine you. Doing exactly what you were supposed to be doing. Learning, obeying, and growing into my future wife. But I was childish and wasn't maturing as rapidly as you were. I was forgetting my goals and falling behind.

In middle school there were so many choices. Lots of pretty faces, but something deep inside told me something was missing. I had been raised right. I had a good mother. She was kind, she cared about me, she took care of me both emotionally and physically. Is it possible to have a girl who really is that way? Not in middle school, I concluded.

High School was a pretty scary place. Thousands of people, but they might as well be aunts. They hurried to and fro busy coming and going where they needed to be. Was my sweetheart, my future wife among those hurrying by? I dated a few girls, boy were they pretty. But, something was still missing. They bubbled and bounced and giggled around. But they actually didn't even seem smart. How could one of them raise my children to return to Heavenly Father? There must be more! Where is the girl will be my wife? She wouldn't be dating me, for I was not yet worthy of her. She has kept herself pure. In high school, that is considered no fun. She has kept herself chaste, in high school that is considered boring. She said hi to the weirdo's. Not acceptable to keep your place of status in High School. She wasn't even a cheerleader! She was a daughter of God and she knew it.

How wise our Heavenly Father was to send young men on missions when they are nineteen. Here I am serving a mission, wish I had been more like you and prepared my whole life to be your husband. But the Lord has given me an opportunity to serve him for two years where I can speed up my growing and learn to serve as you have learned to serve, so that I might become worthy of you as my wife.

Be patient with me my dear. Look for me. I know that the spirit will guide you, for you are the one who hears it best. We will find each other when I am worthy of the woman you have become.

Love,
Your future husband


This was a project I did when I was 19 years old, it was for an English class. We had to write a letter to either our future spouse or our future children, and then get someone to respond as if they were that person. So I sent it to a few people, and got the first response from my best friend and the second response from my mom. Funny that my mom can write as though she was my future husband, but she did a great job. But anyways, I have this in my journal. I love to look at it and read it, and remind myself what I'm looking for.

2 comments:

shahna said...

So cool. your mom is a wise woman! (as if you didn't know!) I am glad you still have that to "reminisce" with :O)

Amanda Idell said...

That is crazy. I didn't have some one else write as those other people, but I wrote letters to my future husband and to my future kids starting at the age of like 13 and then at 16 and 18. I still have them. I love it!!!