Thursday, January 1, 2009

Memories

When I was about 7 years old my parents moved us into my great grandpas old house. This house was a site to see, it was originally supposed to be a chicken coup but instead was converted into a small, and I mean SMALL house. My parents gave the kids (I guess that would be me and Sharon) the option. We could move into a house that was far away from the city that may be a bit bigger or we could move into this house and we could get a trampoline AND a swing set. So of course you can guess what we chose. So back to the house...
This house was a one bedroom house. The carport had been converted into a second bedroom and that is where the 3 girls (Me, Sharon and Lauralee) slept. We lived there for 3 years. We all started out in the same bed and eventually moved into bunk beds. Looking back on the pictures I now see just how small this house was. The back half of the roof slanted so hard that my dad couldn't walk into his room and stand up straight without hitting his head. Same went with the bathroom, there were no showers to be had by the grown ups. You couldn't stand in the tub. The funny part about all this, is some of my best memories as a child were in that house. We got a 3 wheeler and we had fun riding that thing around our house. One of my friends tried riding it one time and clothes lined herself on the trampoline. Guess she lost control of it. We had a rhubarb plants in our backyard and we loved picking those and eating them. So tart! We loved having dance contests on the trampoline. It was a great age where you danced to the words of a song and reenact them. Sharon and I had best friends that were sisters and the 4 of us always tried to con my dad into picking a dance contest winner. But he was wise and never would. He would place us in our separate age categories and make us all winners of that age. It used to make us so mad!
I have since gone back to see this house. Its so run down now. The 30-40 foot pine tree in the front yard is gone, the large row of rose bushes up the walk-way are gone. The yard is dead. Its quite sad. It still makes me laugh though, we lived in a house that was supposed to be a chicken coup. And we loved it!MEMORIERS? Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

Lauralee Altice said...

There was some great memories there! Even though most of them I was too young to remember myself it was some good times!