Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A good end to a bad night.

I started off my night at work for my first of my last 3 shifts at the hospital. I had a patient that was new admission right before my shift that had some really severe heart conditions, but was being admitted for RSV. She was 7 months old and was born with a heart condition called Tetralogy of Fallot and on top of that she had Mitral valve stenosis, Pulmonary Stenosis, GERD, Short Gut Syndrome and i think there were a few others I can't remember. Just getting report on this kiddo sent me into a panic. The cardiac kiddos are not the forte of the nurses where I work because we tend to be more respiratory, but because this baby had RSV she had to come to our side. RSV is hard enough on a "normal" kid, but it was really hard on this little pumkin. I had orders that I needed to try and maintain her oxygen saturations greater than 60%. That isn't very much oxygen, but this kiddo didn't even want to keep them that high. Her sats would drop into the 40's at the beginning of my shift and she was making me a nervous wreck. So about an hour into my shift the charge nurse came up to me and told me that one of the other nurses really wanted to work tonight to try and the bonus offered at the hospital for nurses who would pick up an extra shift per pay period, so she asked if I wanted to be there. With the night I was having it was not a difficult question. I said I was more than willing to go home and let Monica come work for me. So I stated til 12 to get my patients settled giving monica report at about 1130 and then I was on my way home. I had slept all day so i am up for the night, but it was a good excuse for me to get some stuff done. So it was great, I got to give my bathroom the over due major scrubbing it needed, hit up my elliptical for a nice 30 minute jog. What started off as a busy stressful night at work has ended with me relaxing on the couch, folding a little laundry of my roommates that she left in the dryer when she went to bed, and catching up on some tv shows. There is always work again tonight, but at least I got this break in the mean time. Now only 2 shifts left and I am done with the hospital for good!

2 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

So glad you caught a break!
Where are going when you leave the hospital?

Heather Atchley said...

Wait! Did I miss a post or something?! I didn't know you ACTUALLY FOUND a new job!!! Where? What is it? Tell me more!