Wednesday, January 14, 2009

False Advertising

I was driving home from work last night, and I felt the starvation in my stomach as I walked out into the parking lot and realized that I hadn't eaten in over 9 hours. As I began my drive home the list of potential fast food places that might be open after midnight ran through my mind. My mind settled on Jack in the Box. *grin* I pulled up to the drive through menu and I felt a twinge of instant gratification as I looked at their mouth-watering posters of their burgers, fries, Ciabatta (or, CHA-batta, as I like to spell it) sandwiches, and their two-for-a-dollar tacos. Dang… those two-for-a-dollar tacos looked good.
Photobucket


Almost… TOO good.

I looked closer at the pictures, and was amazed at how much lettuce was pouring out of the tops of the taco shells. Amazing. And their shells? A perfect golden mix of yumminess. I wanted one. I mean, I wanted one BAD. It almost made my thought of my Asian chicken salad go right out the door. But I decided to be good. I would get the tacos to take the edge off my hunger for now and then the salad would be for 4 or 5 hours later after my work out when and if my hunger returned.

I realized as I was driving down the road, opening one of the tacos with one hand, texting on the phone with the other, and steering with my left foot lol jk, that in complete and utter dismay, this taco looked NOTHING like the tacos from that poster on the side of the building. It was a greasy, soggy, anything-but-golden, wobbly little pile of mushy 'could've been a taco at one time last year' looking thing. Granted, amidst the disappointment (and a few choice words), I ate it anyway. But I wasn't nearly as satisfied. In fact, it got me thinking about advertising, and how irritated at myself that I'd been so fooled.

Think of the hilarity of how far out of the realm of reality advertisements will sometimes take you. Take the Herbal Essence woman and her shampoo, for example. Who doesn't want shampoo - when applied - to shoot you into an orgasmic state? I know I'd enjoy it, even though taking six showers a day would more than likely interrupt this good life schedule I've got going on right now. Or, OR… I saw a commercial the other day advertising razors for women. This colorful advertisement showed a group of girls on a beach – each with their own brightly colored razor (you know, why not?) – and when they joined together in a circle and held their razors to the heavens, a rainbow shot out of them. Amazing. I want to see THAT happen at my next razor party at my apartment. Or do we have to be on a beach for full effect? Guess I'll have to find out next time I buy into it.

Or how about those commercials you see on television advertising those perfect pair of jeans? You see the girl in the dressing room, effortlessly zipping up the cool set of bootlegs and smiling at herself in the mirror. *cough* I'm sorry, but is there any girl out there who's REALLY tried on a pair of jeans without that exceptionally uncomfortable 'dressing room dance', as I like to call it? You wriggle, you lay down, you land yourself in a split, and you still can't get that damn zipper to zip. By the time you're standing in front of that mirror observing, you're red-faced, panting, and pissy, and you don't even WANT them anymore.

To conclude... I shan't be ordering that taco from Jack in the Box again for a while. That is, until the ad lures me back in for another hopeful go-round.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL oh my gosh that's hilarious!!!! :)

Heather Atchley said...

Yep, you just about summed up why I don't do fast food anymore. I also got sick and tired of not eating what I was seeing. The most I would even order on the very rare moments I go to McDonalds is a soft drink and fries, but since I am not drinking soda anymore, McDonalds is SOL in my book as far as me being a customer. I will do Firehouse Subs, and occasionally Panda Express or Taco Bell (but I might as well be eating canned cat food with the way their meat tastes!) Why the F do you think Americans are fat with bad skin? Fried food yo! And all fast food joints will have it to some extent....that is how they try and make the food taste "good".

I hear you about the advertising stuff. Way over board. I am nuts over lotion because I have such dry skin. I basically look for a lotion that is creamy, not oily or greasy, absorbs quickly, lasts long, and does its damn job by moisturizing my skin. This is what the back of my Jergens Shea Butter lotion bottle says and it made me gag: Let this luxurious lotion illuminate your body with a sheen that charms. More than just superficial Jergens Shea Butter Skin Enriching Moisturizer penetrates skin to hydrate you to heaven. Blended with pure African Shea Butter, this rich mix of vital nutrients instantly releives dryness, replenishes depleted moisture and enhances the performance of skin's own moisture barrier. Lavish it on daily for 24 hour hydration. "Hydrate me to heaven" are you kidding me?! If that is all it takes to get to heaven we should be baptizing ourselves in the damn stuff! What do they think they are selling me with that wording? Sex in a bottle?.....luxurious, lavish, charms, enhances the performance.....blah blah blah I wonder how much money you can make with an advertising company?