Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pulling on my heart strings

The one thing I am learning to deal with having started this new job, is having to develop a new set of "thick skin" for a new type of patients. Working with sick children is sad. It tends to wear on your heart, and you can either learn to be sad all the time, or you learn to develop "thick skin" and leave your work at work.
The latter part of my week I was asked to go along with some one of our coordinators to meet a patient that I will be needing to follow up with later. He was a normal teenager until he was 16 when he was involved in a car accident that left him with a brain injury. So this once normal teenager is now a 25 year old who is a total care patient. he can smile and moan, but otherwise he requires the care of someone else for everything in his life. He will forever be dependent on someone else.
Then I had to go visit a 52 year old woman debilitated by MS. It has gotten her to the point that she is a paraplegic. She used to be wheelchair bound which wasn't too bad, but 5 weeks ago she developed a wound on her behind that has made her unable to be in her chair and requires her to be in bed 24/7. This poor woman lives at home by herself and is wholly dependent on someone to come and move her, make her meals... basically do everything for her. I couldn't even sleep last night thinking about her and her needs and how she need someone to do more for her. She needs more than just a tech that is in that is her in home for 40 hours a week, she needs a nurse...shoot she needs even more than that. My coordinator ended up having to come out with me to meet this lady due to a scheduling conflict and I was told by my boss that she came back to the office and just sat down in a chair in my bosses room and just bawled. Shes in a tough place and unfortunately she is only going to get worse.
So I guess I will have to learn to love while I can, but know that I can only do so much and I need to leave my work at work. I can't let it affect my sleep or make it to where I can rest, and relax. My mom suggested that I ask me dad for a blessing of this manner. I think its a great idea, this is hard stuff, and sometimes people are just not equipped to handle it. my heart hurts Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

Holls said...

If anyone has learned to develop thick skin it's you. I know you'll learn how to deal with it though it may take a little while. I think your mom had a great idea in suggesting a blessing from your dad. Just remember there is always someone there to listen when you feel like you can't do it anymore. I think one of the best ways to help these people would be to remember them in your prayers and even put them on the temple prayer roll. You can do this.