Monday, January 12, 2009

He rubbed me the wrong way

I was relaxing at home this evening after watching the CES broadcast with my new roommate Melissa. She had gone to bed early because she starts her internship with Cooper Aerobic Institute. So I was relaxing by my fire and watching a movie and I decided to update a few pictures on my ldsplanet site. While I was logged on, this guy popped up on the instant messenger feature they have.
So he starts talking to me and decides to quiz me about myself. Asking about my eye color. He even asked me if my eyes sparkle. I told him i wasn't sure how one would know if their eyes "sparkled" and he told me that maybe someone had told me that before. This guy was very "special" but sadly it got better. He then proceeded me ask me if i knew what my role would be as a "christian wife." I told him that I am not sure I understood what he meant by these specific roles. He told me if I was "good in the church" I would know that the scriptures have set out specific roles for men and women. To which he told me that the woman was to maintain the household raise the children and teach them the ways of the Lord. And that the mans role as Head of the household was to lead and rule over the family and that the wife should respect that. He even went as far to say that there is a scripture that says the wife should refer to the husband as Lord because that is what he is over the household. When I told him that my opinion was that while I agree with what he was talking about, I do believe that there is a lot of sharing that goes on in these responsibilities. As the head of the house hold, the man can still assist in the duty's of the christian mother. He said that he agreed that the man as the head of the household should be like Christ and serve but again he emphasized that it should be made known that he is doing so as the head of the household.

This guy not only found some fabulous buttons to push that really got my blood boiling, but really made me realized why he was in fact a divorced 32 year old. While he did have the idea right. He had read the concepts, but I told him that I believe that he may have taken a few things a tad too literally and ran with it. I told him that maybe sharing his interpretation with others may help to understand how a few things were slightly askew. I reminded him that he had the main idea right, but the attitude that went with it, and the demanding that the man should be the in essence "ruler" really rubbed me the wrong way.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon.

Saw your mom and sisters at church yesterday. Your mom and I want to go to lunch soon - want to go with us?? What's your work schedule like this week/month?

shahna said...

I workout at Cooper. Is your roomate at the Dallas location or McKinney? If Mckinney, I will look for her. Is she LDS?

Snarky Belle said...

No question why that guy's single. Oh my!

The cartoon is hilarious! :)

Heather Atchley said...

Bleh, what a pig. He is sorta in the right direction and then took a wrong turn somewhere. No wonder he is divorced!

Amanda Idell said...

Oh my word... I would have met him just to hit him up the side of his head and knock some sence into him.