Saturday, March 21, 2009

The outdated system of writing checks

I was waiting in line to pay for my new back door at Lowe's the other night. I was waiting in the only line with a cashier, and I was quite anxious to leave as Lowe's is not exactly a store I care to spend great time in. I get up to the line and there is only one gentleman in front of me, however this man is not paying in the simple cash or charge version, he is using the now seeminly outdated Check system. It made me think of a blog that Ellen Degeneres wrote and I may have shared this before, but it makes me chuckle every time.

"I went to the grocery store this weekend to buy some sundries, and something horrific happened. I got caught in line behind a woman who paid with a check. That's pure torture. I thought I was on "Punk'd." Who pays with a check anymore? I never do. I only use my American Express card. (wink) Writing out a check could not take longer. First of all, they don't even get the checkbook out until everything's bagged. Then they have to look at the driver's license, get a manager's approval, stamp it, put it in the special drawer... sacrifice a goat. It takes forever. Then they take out their register and balance their checkbook before they leave. "Let's see, carry the one, take away the nine, add the four..." Even when I used checks, I didn't record them. I just waited for them to bounce and then I knew how much I spent. And if you make a mistake, then you have to void it and start over, or put your initials on it to make it "legal." Is that really legal? How do they know who wrote the initials? It's just two capital letters. Unless you're Prince. Then it's just the one; "P." Maybe that's why he changed his name to that symbol for a while. Harder to forge. I'll bet he has purple checks... with rain on them. Purple Rain checks. Some people take the time to write in the "memo" line. That's so when they get their canceled checks back, they can remember what they were for. "To the LAPD. LAPD? What's this for? (look down to memo line) Ah, yes... bail. Lucky there's that memo line. I thought it was a reminder section. Like, if you write a check to your plumber. In the memo section you can put, "Remember to wear a belt next time you fix my sink."Photobucket

4 comments:

Brandi Doss said...

Hey Rachey,
Not so much making a comment about the whole check writing issue, but it is funny. Wanted to check in and see how you were doing. Ari is getting huge, how is your sisters little boy? When are you going to visit Utah again, we are going next week so it will be exciting. Love ya.

Heather Atchley said...

Yeah, I don't even carry my check book with me anymore. We even do the online checking through our bank and LOVE IT! We don't even buy stamps anymore!

Lauralee Altice said...

They only time I write a check is for tithing. I love Ellen! She makes my day, but you already knew that! ;)

Holly said...

I love Ellen! She cracks me up and I actually try to plan one of Drews' feedings every day around her show so I can at least watch for a few minutes!