Thursday, February 26, 2009

My job thus far...

So I have been working at my new job for 6 weeks as of now and Im really liking it. While I still feel as though there is TONS to learn, I am really liking what I am doing. Yesterday I got offered to be the Director of Nursing (D.O.N.) so Im pretty stoked about that. With me accepting that position we can apply to get our own license and no longer have to be a branch office under the Abilene location. It also means I get a little more money and have the potential for another raise in 5 months.
We are taking on this new program called DB-MB (Deaf-Blind with Multiple Disabilities). Its quite sad to think that there are at least 150 people in the state of Texas that are both deaf AND blind and have another disability. So we have to do 30 hours of training for this new program so in our training today we were practicing what it was like to be deaf and blind. Its was quite a frightening experience. My boss was leading me around with a blind fold on, and having me feel my way though areas so that I could get a small sense of what it was like. Then I got to lead my boss around while we did different things to through her off. It was quite the learning experience, not to mention it was kinda fun. I get to do some cool stuff with my job.
I am looking into getting certified with the American Heart Association to be able to teach CPR that way we can offer that to the attendants that take care of our patients. Lots is going on with my job.
My car is going to be in the shop for at least another 9 days. I did a major number on my car to the tune of $6,300. But my body can attest to the amount of damage that was done because my body is still in a good amount of pain a week later.

4 comments:

Holls said...

I'm glad you're liking your new job so much!

Amy Taylor said...

I have an ASL dictionary if you want to borrow it. I don't really use it. There is also a web site online that has mini clips of a person signing it for you so you know how to do it. The site is http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm. Just click on the letter it starts with then look for the word. If its not on there then its not a word in sign language.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Lauralee Altice said...

YAY congrats! Did you guys have ear plugs in so you can't hear anyone during your training too?