Saturday, April 4, 2009

It has opened my eyes

Working at my job has enabled me to come in contact with people from all walks of life. However its the ones that have just found themselves in horrible situations in life and it just makes my heart ache. I have been extremely busy at work the past few days. We have a tons of new clients coming into our CBA program (community based alternatives). Its a program that is meant to keep people out of the nursing homes and if it is possible with some assistance let them live on their own. I have gone and visited several nursing homes to go visit a client and its just heart breaking to see all the people in there, listening to them yelling out for help or just rolling around aimlessly in their wheelchairs. But any who, I digress...I went to visit this woman the other day who is only 35 years old. She has kidney failure and is on dialysis, however she broke her foot two years ago and so she was taken to the hospital. Well she had been living with her mom prior to this however her mom was in the hospital at the same time so when they went to discharge her, there was no one home. So the hospital had her admitted to a nursing home, and that is where she has been for the past 2 years. She is 35 years old, she doesn't belong in a nursing home!
And another gentleman I went to go visit yesterday is 40 years old and he has been a quadriplegic since he was 14 when he went cliff diving off lake grapevine. He seems to be a highly functioning quad and does a lot of things for himself. He had been living with his aunt however one day his uncle told him he need to exterminate the house so he said he was going to take him for a drive and next thing he knew he was being dumped off at a nursing home, and his family never looked back. He has been there for 3 years. He is all there mentally, and he gets around anywhere he wants in his electric wheelchair. He just needs a little assistance from someone and he could live by himself. So with the help of the state program I can help get this guy out of the nursing home and let him live in his own apartment. Its just sad to see what people are put through. I don't see how a family can do that. Sure it make not be easy to take care of a loved one, but its not easy for them to be disabled and unable to take care of themselves. I just don't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You're a great nurse, Rachel. Very compassionate. And you're right - it's so sad to see what people often have to go through.

Holly said...

Oh my gosh, that is soooo soooo sad. I hope you are able to do something to help them out too. Don't you just want to scream "where are these families and why is it alright to neglect your loved ones?" I don't think I could ever do your job...

Heather Atchley said...

It is disgusting that those people were simply treated like objects or something disposable.....like they could be dropped off and not have feelings about it!!! I always hated hearing your work stories, even when you were back at the hospital....life can be so hard and people can be so evil. Thank goodness there are people like you around.