Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them.

I think that everyone in this life is in some way or another, on their own personal quest to find happiness. That is the ultimate goal isn't it? If only I could find happiness, then life will be good. Isn't that what life is all about? The eternal quest for happiness? But what exactly is happiness? Wikipedia says that happiness is this: "Happiness is emotion in which one experience feelings ranging from contentment and satisfaction to bliss and intense joy. This definition is, however, a synonymous one rather than one based on analytic evaluation, because of the varied and elusive nature of happiness."
But why does that have to be the case, why does happiness have to be elusive? Why isn't it just something that everyone is entitled to? I know the way the world is today it makes it hard to be happy. It seems like everything that can and will go wrong in our lives does. It seems like some days you are doing good just to make it through the day without killing anyone. This "prayer" depicts it all...

Dear God,

So far today, I've done all right. I haven't gossiped, and I haven't lost my temper. I haven't been grumpy, nasty or selfish. But in a few minutes, God, I’m going to get out of bed and that’s when I’m going to need a lot of help. Amen

I think happiness has to be something we choose. No matter what our circumstances, we have to choose to be happy. Life throws many things at us, but whether we stumble and fall is not what matters. If we fall down 16 times we just have to get up one more time than we fall. I think many of us these days have a hard time remembering what we have to be thankful for. I have struggled with this concept for a large portion of my life, it’s really easy to only see all the negatives in life and forget to look to the positive. Life is good! I can honestly say I am happier now that I have ever been. I have so many people who love me and so many things that I have to be grateful for. I am making good choices and doing what I am supposed to, and I can see the blessings in that. Happiness is a choice and I for one am going to choose to be happy!

:) Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

Heather Atchley said...

Amen Sista! I really learned this in therapy this year. Too many people let OTHERS control how they feel and therefore what they were going to do or say. I got more control back on how I felt and how happy I was on a day to day basis.