Sunday, August 31, 2008

What If...

I have always tried to live my life so that I have no regrets. Even if I make mistakes I try to learn from these mistakes and better myself because of them. Why beat yourself down over things that cannot be changed right? Live and learn as they say. But have you ever had those days where if given the opportunity you would go back and change it in a heart beat? I know everyone wonders about what if...what if I had done this instead of that, how would my life be right now. As in the movie Sliding Doors, or The Family Man or even movies about small simple decisions such as The Butterfly Effect.

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in a certain location. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different. Of course the butterfly cannot literally cause a tornado. The kinetic energy in a tornado is enormously larger than the energy in the turbulence of a butterfly. The kinetic energy of a tornado is ultimately provided by the sun and the butterfly can only influence certain details of weather events in a chaotic manner."

Its something I have thought about many times before. What if I had made some different choices in my life, would things still be the way they are? Would I still be a nurse? Would I still be single or would be married with 2.5 kids? Would I own a house or would I still be living at home with my parents. The list could go on for a while. What if I had made one decision differently, so much could be effected. And then what about the decisions I have made this far. What if I could change some of them? Would I be a different person than I am today? Would I be better, stronger, happier? What would be the outcome if I could have a do over? I guess its something I will never have an answer for just something I think about. What if ya know?

No comments: